keeping Your Addiction in Remission: Step 2

Step 2 is not going to be a fun one. We must take a good look at ourselves and do a self-examination. we must admit what addiction has turned us into and changed us in negative ways. That is the only way we can begin to correct the negative personality traits that addiction has caused. Make a list and begin to be proactive about changing everything on list. This is my list.

1) I am an Addict
2) I am manipulative
3) I am a liar
4) I am a thief
5) I put drugs before my child
6) I am selfish
7) I am not trustworthy

If we don't truly self examine ourselves we can't begin to work on changing. Now sobriety will definitely help correct some of these negative traits but it's important we understand how the addiction changed us because just being sober won't completely get rid of negative character traits that have become second nature to us. Addiction invades and seizes the soul like a foreign occupation and it is a fight and struggle to take it back. Without self examining you go into battle blind and the struggle to take your soul back is a losing battle. Focusing on each negative and proactively working to correct them will exponentially increase your chances of not relapsing and will eventually bring the joy and happiness back into your life. What addiction has done to each of us is different but shame and guilt are constants that turn into vicious cycles. We are ashamed and feel guilt because we use because we feel guilt and shame. We can conquer our soul back from the invader if we are prepared for battle.
Study yourself well because the next step is going to take a good understanding of  what and who you've become.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Addiction and Brain Chemistry

BAD NEWS

Heroin Epidemic