Life Lessons from Episode 4

There were two choices I made during this part of my life that were the major catalysts that led to every other bad choice.
1) The Methadone clinic
I could go on and on about the negatives of methadone clinics, but I'm just going to focus on what's the most important. If you or someone you know develops a chemical dependency to opiates DO NOT GO TO A METHADONE CLINIC. Methadone clinics take people in every single day that are addicted to much weaker opiates like Hydrocodone (Lorcet, Lortab), Oxycodone, Morphine and most other painkillers that can be overcome (physical withdrawal) in 2-4 weeks and put them on a medication that they will probably on for the rest of their lives. The  Methadone clinics that are privately owned make millions of dollars a year. The clinics here charge about $16 a day to dose someone. When I was buying methadone from Walgreens without insurance it cost me around $35 for an entire months supply. That was 360 tablets. That is dirt cheap for a narcotic painkiller. Methadone clinics encourage dosage increases and make you jump through hoops to decrease your dosage. Not long ago I was of the opinion that Methadone would be a good thing for a lifelong heroin addict. It would get them off something illegal. They could get a job because they have a prescription, but now that I know how well Buprenorphine works methadone should be banned. Buprenorphine takes away all the physical withdrawal without the euphoric effects. You don't get high.

2) Xanax (Benzodiazepines)
Stay away from it. If someone has a legitimate anxiety disorder there's nothing wrong with taking benzodiazepines, but drugs like Clonazepam or Diazepam are much more effective and easier to come off of. They also don't cause the severity of side effects like Xanax does.

I'm not a doctor and there will be many people that disagree with me. Most will be people that are on these meds like I was and will argue till their dying breath that I'm wrong. I used to adamantly say methadone did not get me high. I didn't feel high. I thought I felt normal until I came off of it and realized I was completely in an altered state. My memory and cognitive function drastically improved. The biggest impact these drugs have on you is emotionally. I'm still dealing with that. 14 years of taking a drug that masks your emotions and feelings has a serious effect on you when you come off. These drugs take your stress away almost to the point you don't care about anything.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Addiction and Brain Chemistry

BAD NEWS

Heroin Epidemic